Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 23:53:06 -0500
At 19:50 1/23/99 -0500, Bryan Steward wrote:
>>My problem is, on start up, it always stops and gives me a message
>>telling me that the "dfs.vxd" is missing and cannot be found, that
>>windows or an application will have problems starting without it.
>
>Thank you for the fix, extracting it from the win98 cd and copying it
>to the windows\system folder did the trick.

Hi Bryan

If something similar happens again with another file, but you can't find
the file to restore it...

Run regedit (from the Start, Run menu) and search (use Edit in the regedit
menu bar, then Find) for all references to the missing file. Delete all
references you find. Backup the registry to your hard disk first of course
...either with ERU.exe (it's on the Win9x CDROM...or you can download it
for free from many software archives) or by "exporting" the entire
registry from within regedit (click "Registry" in the regedit menu bar)
to a safe place on your drive.

If you don't find the missing file mentioned in the registry, or the
problem presists, open c:\windows\win.ini with Notepad and search (use
Find from the menu bar) for all references of the file. Put "; "
(without the quotes) at the start of each line in win.ini that loads the
missing file. (This marks the line as a comment.) Save the changed
win.ini file before you exit Notepad. You must change the attributes
(right click on win.ini then pick Properties from the drop down menu)
from "read only" before you can change win.ini. Change them back to "read
only" when you are done.

Repeat the above with the file c:\windows\system.ini.

When a file is missing at boot, it is likely that it was removed when a
program was uninstalled but an errant reference in either the registry
or win.ini or system.ini is still tricking windows into loading the file
when you boot.

And don't forget to look in autoexec.bat and config.sys...

Regards,
Bill

         The PCSOFT web site always needs good submissions.  If
               software tech tips or software reviews to: