Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 19:22:24 -0800
On 24 Dec 98 at 6:15, Alex Polenov wrote:

> What's difference between UUPC and POP3 connection? I now use UUPC
> (UUCP) mail and can read only ASCII text. I can't access any
> commands that presents in Outlook, the Bat! and other mailer for
> POP3. What is POP3 and UUPC mean and is there any other types of
> connection?

  UUCP is an older style of mail transport, suitable when network
connections are intermittent.  Essentially, your machine dials up
some host periodically, handing it your outgoing mail and retrieving
any it has for you, using a special-purpose serial port protocol.

  POP and IMAP protocols are newer, and improved in a couple of
different ways:

1.  They work over a TCP/IP connection, which may (but needn't)
include SLIP/PPP links.

2.  They are client/server *message* transport protocols, rather than
cruder *file* transport protocols.

3.  There are a lot of different choices of POP client software, all
compatible with the same servers.

4.  Many ISPs no longer offer UUCP connection as a customer option.

David G

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com