Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Joe Sansoucie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 10:15:47 -0800
Hi Sarah,
Regarding your CD-RW problem...
I can see a couple of potential problems.
Windows ME most likely is one of the sources of trouble for you.
I have seen three separate installs of this OS
and not one has worked the way it was supposed to.
I had installed ME using this method.
FDISK, FORMAT c: /u/s , Boot with a CD ROM boot disk, XCOPY the
cab files to the hard drive, reboot and run install from the
hard drive.
This was on a networked work station Pentium 200MMX. The
computer seemed to run fine. However, no matter what I tried the
system could not see the other Win98 machines on the network.
The two Win98 machines had no trouble with Internet or network.
But the ME machine failed to even notice the network.
After two days of tweaking and re installing drivers and all
kinds of registry games, I finally FDISK, Format and reisntalled
Win98 and POW! There was the network and every machine was very
happy!
Conclusion? Get rid of ME and go back to WIN98.

Also it sounds like you are running a Cyrix CPU? Is that
correct?
I have found that if you are running a Microsoft OS, then stick
pretty much with INTEL CPU's. They work well together.
Anything else and you can run into weird problems, like CD-RW's
that don't work.
But I would bet that if you go back to WIN98 and Try the CD-RW
it will probably work just fine. Probably. No promises.

What brand of CD-RW is it? IDE?

Regarding the new Windows Media player...
The 6.4 version was much more reliable and worked just fine.
The new one just looks prettier, but in fact it doesn't work
half as well.
I think Microsoft just did a half hearted work on ME. Now
everyone else suffers for it.

I hope some of this was useful.

Take care and good luck,
Joe Sansoucie
maxsales.com
==========>
Don't you just hate having to reformat your Hard drive when
Windows crashes? Don't you just hate it when you get the "blue
screen" in the middle of a sentence? I did too! Until I got
ERS9x that is! So easy to use a novice can successfully restore
Windows after a crash! Get your copy here!
http://www.roibot.com/w.cgi?IM11529_ers
or send a blank e-mail to [log in to unmask] for more information.
===========>

On 01/13/2001 at 8:05 PM Sarah Cloud wrote:

>First problem is with my Windows Media Player:
>I have the newest one (the one included with Windows ME) and
when I try to play a WAV, MP3, or WMV, I get no audio. The file
plays, but I get no audio. Other times I get an error message
that says "Wmplayer caused an error in [unknown]" and it shuts
down. I know the problem is not with my sound card or speakers,
because audio CDs and RealPlayer files play just fine. Do you
know how I can fix this?

>Second is with running software in Windows ME:
>My computer originally came with Windows 98 and I ran that for
3 years. I recently upgraded to Windows ME and I'm having a few
problems. First, is trying to run some of my CD-ROM games that
worked just fine in Windows 98. I had uninstalled them before
upgraded to clear some disk space and intended to reinstall them
in Windows ME. All my CD-ROMs work perfectly except for two -
Trivial Pursuit Millenium Edition and Adobe PhotoDeluxe 3.1.
Here are the messages I got after installation:
>TRIVAL PURSUIT ERROR MESSAGE WHEN TRYING TO START PROGRAM:
>Windows cannot run this program because it is in an invalid
format
>AND
>The C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/DSOUND.DLL file is corrupt. Please
reinstall the file and try again.
>ADOBE ERROR MESSAGE WHEN TRYING TO START:
>C:/Program Files/PhotoDeluxe HE 3.1/PD3.EXE A device attached
to the system is not functioning
>AND
>SHELL32.DLL file linked to missing export
SHLWAPI.DLL:SHCreateStreamOnFileA.
>Do you know how I can fix this and make the games work?
>
>Third is a CD-RW drive question:
>I really, REALLY want a CD-RW drive but when I took my computer
to have one installed, the shop told me that my system was too
small and it kept crashing whenever they tried to use it, so
they had to take the drive out. Is there anyway to get around
that? And would I be able to use any type of external CD-RW
drives? I have a Packard Bell, Windows ME (upgraded from Windows
98), 48x speed CD-ROM drive, 6.4 GB hard drive and a MII -333
MMX Enhanced Processor. Would I be able to use one?

                       http://freepctech.com/rode