Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 00:05:13 -0400
At 18:38 9/22/98 +0900, Lance Cummings wrote:
>I live and I learn, Bill.  :))  Can you give specific instructions
>on how to relocate System Commander?  My SC indeed _does_ live on
>the Win98 FAT16 partition, and that partition remains FAT16 because
>both the Winternals people and SC told me it had to stay that way.

When you wrote that the Winternals people told you to keep the
Win98 partition as FAT16, were you referring to the warning
"Do not convert your first partition, or your NT boot partition
(the one with \winnt on it), to FAT32 as there is no support in
Windows NT 4.0 for reading FAT32 drives during the boot sequence"
which is highlited in red in the FAT32Help?

I believe that this statement is for people who might try putting
their NT boot files inside their FAT32 Win9x boot partition. I
can see where some tech support person has had it drummed into
his head to tell everyone who calls in not to make the boot
partition FAT32. If that tech support person is not really
thinking when you call in, he will not understand that using
System Commander lets you break this "rule".

I just now checked (again) that the Winternals FAT32 driver
works fine on my NT4/98 dual boot system. **I repeat, my 98
boot partition is FAT32 and this is where System Commander is
installed.** The NT4 boot partition is FAT16. The NT boot files
are not inside the 98 partition. Also note that my \wnnt folder
(with NT's system files) is on another drive and is NTFS. But
it could be in the NT4 boot FAT16 folder on drive one. In
summary, System Commander allows me to choose whether the
NT4 or the 98 partition boots. The NT4 boot program will let
me further choose which NT4 system to choose. (I have two of
them on different drives...for safety sake.)

You asked how to get System Commander into your MBR (Master Boot
Record)...

When you install System Commander, it replaces the MBR on your
first hard disk with its own version. Whenever you boot the
computer, this (System Commander) MBR gets the System Commander
program from the 98 partition (let's say that's where it is)
and loads it into memory. Then this running SC program looks at
the boot record of each primary partition, lets you choose which
one to boot, then loads that one, and then SC goes out of
memory. (But the System Commander MBR is still there.)

Note that during its time in main memory, the SC program will
detect if you have added or removed an operating system since
the last time you booted with SC. Also, if the SC MBR ever gets
overwritten (which can happen when you install an OS like Win9x
or DOS), you simply run SCIN from 9x and SC will again replace
the MBR.

I have no idea why the SC people would say for you not to keep
SC in a FAT32 partition. It works for me on my FAT32 Win98 boot
partition. Maybe there is something here that I am not aware of,
but I prefer to think that it's easier for these guys to tell
everyone not to do something that could cause problems in a
certain case. Whatever, I haven't run into any problems yet
(other than annoying DOS 1024 cylinder limitations and 8 GB
Int13 limits). :)

Regards,
Bill

                                  -----
        **Need help with PCSOFT mailing list? Send an Email to:**