Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2013 10:08:17 -0400
Thanks Dean and Brian!  "Overclocking" -- I understand it as the CPU at
100% RAM usage and trying to find more.  Bogs things down when it
happens and I have to either use <CTRL> <ALT> <Delete> or turn the power
off for a couple of minutes.  Wiki defines it as "the process of making
a computer or component operate faster than the clock frequency
specified by the manufacturer by modifying system parameters."  In my
case, alittle green icon appears in the taskbar, lower right-hand corner
of the screen when that happens.  If I hover the cursor over it, it
tells me what's going on with the usage rate.  The icon doesn't always
appear, just when there are overload problems.  (Remember, there's only
704 MB RAM in this ol' thing -- upgraded from 386 with an added memory
card -- where newer computers are approaching four to five GIG.)

But:  the issue is resolved with Firefox 23!  There was no problem with
my little laptop with Firefox 20, so I was able to research the problem
further and sure 'nuff, Firefox 22 had some issues.  Downloaded 23 and
installed it and all is well again.  Hooked up the new optical mouse as
well.

Thanks again, guys!  As always, I appreciate the help!

Joyce
SE Ohio

On 8/23/2013 8:05 PM, Dean Kukral wrote:
> On 8/21/2013 12:44 PM, Joyce A wrote:
>> Same old "coffee grinder:" my eMachines, running Windows XP Home
>> 2002, SP 2, 1.8 GHz and 704 MB of RAM, 150-gig HD with only 23.3 gig
>> used.  Running very, very slowly on a HughesNet connection -- and
>> today, it keeps overclocking.  When I open Mozilla
>> Firefox, several incidences of the same blank page pop up and the top
>> page flickers.  I have to use <CTRL> <ALT> <Delete> and it comes up
>> "Not responding."  When I click End Task, I have to repeat that
>> action per the number of pages that have come up.  Once it was twelve
>> times and once it was nine.
>>
>> Computer is virus- and malware-free with MSSE and Malwarebytes for a
>> backup.  Scanned yesterday with MWB and came up with nine PUPs which
>> I removed.  Then scanned again with MSSE and Spybot S & D and
>> everything seems to be clean.
>>
>> So is this a temporary glitch?  Or is this ol' thing finally wearing
>> itself out?  T'bird doesn't seem to be affected.  Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Joyce
>> SE Ohio
>
> What do you mean by "overclocking?"  Do you mean "overclicking," as if
> you pressed on the mouse and it responded more than once?
>
> It looks like when you click on an URL it clicks multiple times, so it
> has to download more than one page comes up.  That would cause your
> internet connection to appear very slow, because it might be
> downloading several pages at once.
>
> I would try to borrow a friend's mouse and see if it works better.
> Could be the clicker in your mouse has gone bad.
>
> If that doesn't help, then maybe you could describe other problems
> that you might have.  Is your only problem when you're using Firefox?
>
> As a rule, a computer doesn't exactly "wear out," but a piece - such
> as a mouse - can certainly go bad from time to time.  Especially a
> piece with a moving part.
>
> HTH,
>
> Dean Kukral
>
>              The NOSPIN Group is now offering Free PC Tech
>                         support at our website:
>                          http://freepctech.com

                    digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml