Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:12:33 -0600
Rob writes:

<<My question
now is what is a recommendation for the swap file now that ram is cheaper
and it is not unusal to have 256mb or more of physcial ram installed.>>

Good question, to which I doubt there's a definitive answer.

I'm no expert on this, but from what I understand, the following factors
all have a bearing:

1. Which version of Windows?
2. What do you use your computer for?
3. Intensive graphics/Cad/voice work will require large globs of memory,
the more the better (up to whatever limit is allowed). If you happen to be
doing all 3 at once, you'd better have a maximum swap file or loads of RAM,
or both.
4. How many programs do you like to have running at one time?
5. What is the nature of those programs? Are any of them resource-intensive?
6. How much hard drive space can you spare for the swap file?
7. The bigger the swap file, the more it will get fragmented during a
session, thus slowing performance to a point where rebooting or defragging
the swap file (there are utilities that purport to do this) becomes desirable.
8. In most cases, where there is adequate RAM, you may be better off
letting the later versions of Windows manage memory (as it does by
default). I know I'm begging the question of what is "adequate".  Again,
that depends on so many variables.
9. I suspect that computer architecture must have a bearing on how
efficiently memory is used, also.
10. You should experiment for yourself, as systems and uses vary so much.
The "Rule of thumb" is really only a suggested starting point for
the"average person" who doesn't exist in real life.

For the less initiated, there's a brief tutorial (Memory Leaks) on my
website on the function and working of the memory Swap File, otherwise
known as "Virtual Memory" .

Don Penlington
Free computer tutorials at: http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
Also Fractal Galleries,  free icons,  poetry,  and beautiful Queensland beaches.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml