Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 07:01:46 -0600
At 06:21 AM 9/16/98 , Sam Smilie wrote:
>Good Morning list members,
>
>One of my users is getting illegal operations everytime she tries to go
>into Control Panel.  Is there a way to fix this short of reinstalling
>Windows?

The Control Panel is one of the easier utilities in WIndows to troubleshoot.

The Control Panel exists in the C:\Windows directory as:  control.exe
and is controlled by the   Control.ini  file.

You can replace the Control.exe file using  SFC.EXE  that is found:
  c:\windows\system\sfc.exe        be sure to have your install CD or
your Install files accessable across your network.

You can open Control.ini  using Notepad.exe and look to see if there
are any ODD comments listed that you can remark out with a semi-colon
like this:

;odd statement in control.ini

If the problem persists, then use SFC.EXE to replace all of the control panel
programs, these are the files the end with  *.CPL in this directory:
  C:\windows\system.

Remember that the icons that appear in Control Panel are these CPL
files in the SYSTEM directory.  Any of these CPL files you remove
from the directory will stop the icon from appearing in Control Panel.
You can remove them all and add them back one at a time...  this is
real time consuming...

There can be other causes...  but, these are a good start.

Bob Wright  -   The NOSPIN GROUP
   [log in to unmask]   -   http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD  -  PCSOFT
                          PC-PDA  -   I-GAMES

                                  -----
        **Need help with PCSOFT mailing list? Send an Email to:**