Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 11:31:10 -0700
In order to play back on your DVD player, your file  will need to be
encoded in one of three formats, and then burned to disk by a burning
program that supports video disks, and which uses a format, that
is  supported by your stand alone DVD player. There are few real standards
in video yet. Things are very dynamic.

VCD = mpeg-1 = Video CD = a little less then VHS quality. Most modern DVD
players support this ... an hour worth of audio video = around 650 megs

SVCD= mpeg-2 = Super Video CD = near DVD quality very few stand alone DVD
players support this ... an hour worth of video = around 1GB

DVD=mpeg-2 = Universal support ... an hour of audio video = around 2 GB

All computer DVD players will support these formats, but to find out what
your stand alone DVD will support, you have to try it and see.

Now that DVD reader and burners are common, SVCD is really unnecessary.
Increasingly people are just burning everything into a DVD which is
universally supported. As CD players are replaced with DVD players
and,  media prices drop, even VCDs will become redundant if they haven't
already done so.

Once you have your video editing done, you need to encode the file to a
disk format. I have not used Ulead 5 but I have used 6 and 7 which support
this. Sometimes editing programs call the encoding process  "share it" or
some other silly end user term. You can encode it into a file format of one
of the above formats which are specifically setup to support disk burning.
It must be in one of these formats in order for the burner program to
recognize it as a video disk.

Once you have encoded your file then you use any leading burner program to
create a video disk. The latest burning programs, like Nero 6X will
actually re-encode the file if necessary, but you still need to start with
one of the video disk formats....like a VCD to a DVD. Note, the file can
never be better then the original in quality, but you can change the
format. And when creating a Video recording, you always want to start with
the most information which is going to be the biggest file, and go down
from there.

There is a lot of discussion about what is the best encoder to use. Most
people agree thatTMGPENC does the cleanest encoding, particularly with
problem files, but it may not matter to you depending on what you are
outputting . I think Ulead 7, (8 is out now), does a pretty good job. Movie
Maker is a very simple editing program which is setup to output to
Microsoft wmv files and is really designed for media player streaming video
stuff or things that are played back on the PC.

So the answer to your question is to encode your file into one of the three
files, and then use a burner program to create the Video Disk. The burner
program will turn the file into a disk that can be played in your stand
alone DVD player. You can use either the editing program, like VideoStudio,
or the burner program to create Menus, titles, that sort of thing...and
then burn. Both the latest versions of Nero, and EZCD, have extensive menu
creating support, for video disk burning.

I am sure you are still a bit confused, which is normal, this is one skill
you learn by fumbling through it. I suggest you do everything with DVD R/W+
until you are sure you have what you want, and then burn a final with a DVD
-R which is the most compatible format for stand alone DVD players and
should work well for any kind of distribution to family or friends.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://freepctech.com

At 05:31 AM 5/20/2004, you wrote:
>Here I go again. I know how to capture video from VCR (or other video input)
>and save it to disk. I also know how to edit the material. The question now
>is HOW DO I SAVE IT TO CD OR DVD so that it will play on my DVD player? I
>have Ulead VideoStudio 5 (came with my video capture board) and also
>Microsoft Movie Maker. Saving from Movie Maker, the HiMATT format it uses is
>not recognized by my DVD player. Do I need different software, and if so,
>what is recommended?
>
>Peter

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com