Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 11:36:36 -0700
Thanks for the response Bob  but I think you have misunderstand my question.

I HAVE the system booting to DOS.
My question has to do with how WIn98 goes about processing the autoexec.bat
and config.sys startup files when going FROM a default DOS boot TO a 98
GUI. Which is the REVERSE of the process you are describing.  I know it
will boot to DOS and use the autoexec.bat and config.sys file. BUT these
files are not the ones I wish to use when loading windows from the DOS
prompt.  The exit to Dos process you partially describe is not available
when going FROM a default DOS boot TO windows.

If you execute a custom DOS Pif while in windows then WIn98 will replace
your autoexec.bat and config.sys with your custom  DOS autoexec.bat and
config.sys and THEN load pure DOS with a Win stub so it can find it's way
back to the GUI. When you exit out of DOS mode Win98 will restore it's
original default autoexec.bat and config.sys and load windows. However
Win98 will NOT do this if you reverse the process......default boot to DOS
using a special DOS autoexec.bat and config.sys.

So I use a batch file called Windows.....instead of the normal WIN
command.....to load Win98 AFTER default booting to DOS.
This batch file replaces the DOS autoexec.bat and config.sys files with
ones more suitable to Win98.

I use another program to automatically restore the default boot to DOS
autoexec.bat and config.sys when leaving Win98 GUI. When exiting Win98 the
PC is setup to always reboot  no matter what the user inputs so that it
ends up at the default DOS prompt  using it's default autoexec.bat and
config.sys........  before shutting down.

The purpose of all this is that this computer is a office computer upgrade
that runs proprietary DOS programs from a series of DOS menus. It spends 95
percent of it's time in DOS. The staff knows how to use these programs and
menus.....I have set this up to mirror the DOS 6.22 setup....There is NO
learning curve for the office staff and this is the purpose of this
setup.....however they also have the option to load Windows 98 GUI for
email and word processing. This setup has been working well for them
however I beginning to suspect that windows is using the default
autoexec.bat and config.sys when it moves from Dos to Win98 GUI....which is
 problematic.

MY question is will WIn98 use these win98 autoexec.bat and config.sys files
when loading windows..........or does it continue to use the ones it loaded
when it default booted to DOS. ...MUST it reboot before using new
autoexec.bat and config.sys to load the Win98 GUI.

Mark

At 06:45 AM 5/8/99 -0600, you wrote:
>I setup systems with the DOS MENU option for poeple who have
>older DOS games they wish to play.   This works very well...
>
>This is done by using TWEAK to turn off the boot to GUI option.  When
>this is set, you must use the Win.com to start Win98.   This in effect makes
>Windows98 respond at boot like Windows3.xx.  You can also acccomplish
>turning off the boot to GUI option by editing your MSDOS.SYS file, (this is
>what Tweak accomplishes).  Change the line in MSDOS.SYS from:
>  BootGUI=1     to    BootGUI=0
>
>Now, when you boot the system, it will end the process after processing
>your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files.   You have only started Dos v7.
>You will need to run WIN.exe or just WIN to start Windows98.
>
>If you want special setup for Dos vs. Windows, use the DOS MENU to
>configure for each one.  Here is a sample of a DOS MENU for both
>your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files to run well in Dos or WIndows:
>         CONFIG.SYS
>
>[Menu]
>Menuitem=Windows98
>Menuitem=Dos
>Menucolor=15, 1
>Menudefault=Windows, 30
>
>[common]
>
>[Windows98]
>
>[Dos]
>Device=c:\windows\himem.sys
>Devicehigh=c:\windows\emm386.exe ram
>Devicehigh=c:\cddriver\oakcdrom.sys /d:nospin
>           AUTOEXEC.BAT
>
>@echo off
>cls
>goto %config%
>
>:Windows98
>WIN
>goto End

         PCSOFT only works if you contribute. Send your messages
              to be posted to: [log in to unmask]