Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 08:21:28 -0700
What swap file space is when your computer takes some of your hard drive and makes it into "virural RAM".  What this is used maily for is when a program is not currently active and does not need to be in the RAM it is SWAPPED to this virtural location on your dirve and then SWAPPED back into RAM when you need it again.  This is also called virtural memmory.  You seen its effects if you min a program and then try to run it again after some time and it takes a couple of extra seconds to show on your screen.  What has happened is that the program was swapped to the virutal location, to free up some RAM, until you called for it again.  To change it :

   I would defrag your hard drive
   Open the Control Panel
   Go to System
   Then Advanced
   Then Settings
   Then Advanced
   Click on the Advanced tab, then click the Setting button under Performance.
   Under Performance Options, click on the Advanced tab.
   Under Virtual Memory, click on Change.
   For Initial Size I would set it at about 1536
   Maximum Size set to about 3072
   Click on Set to set the page file.
   Reboot and try again to see if you get the same problem.

Do a http://www.google.com search for "windows xp swap file" for more information

Bruce Jarrett-Norton

Carol <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> It might not be the physical RAM that you are running out of but the swap
file space. Now a days some programs are programmed to only to run in this
space. You might need to up the amounts.

> Bruce Jarrett-Norton

Can you explain a little further? What is the swap file space? When you
say "up the amounts", what do you mean? Not more RAM evidently. Guess I am
a little lost. I've got the feeling this might be the right track however,
since I didn't notice any difference when I added the additional RAM a year
and a half ago. Sounds now like maybe I've not really been using the new
RAM. (Well, not so new anymore - I installed that a year and a half ago.)
Carol Hanson

visit our download web page at:
http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

Bruce Jarrett-Norton