Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 20:24:51 -0500
At 14:13 12/3/98 -0500, Ben Devoid wrote:
>I continuously get large temp files every day, some as large as 30MB...
>over a couple of days it can exceed 70MB. I delete the file almost daily.
>It does not appear to have any effect on running any programs. It seem
>that ever function I do on the computer goes into a temp file.
>Windows 98...Norton Anti Virus...NetZero an ISP...PKWARE unzip...
>Specs: NEC Ready 9851, Pentium 2 w/Cyrix 300, 64MB Ram, 6.4GB HD

Hi Ben

I came upon the following yesterday and thought of your question:

>If you upgraded to Windows 98 and you use
>FaxWorks 3.00f.041, Microsoft says not to
>use the Advanced AGC option that adjusts
>incoming call voice volume. If you do, you
>will create a .tmp file in the \TEMP folder
>that gradually expands until it fills your
>entire hard drive and locks up your system.
>Source:
<http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q188/9/78.asp>

I mention this more as an illustration of what can happen,
and how difficult it might be to understand, than with the
idea that you actually use FaxWorks version 3.00f.041.

Have you looked at the files in the temp folder and tried to
identify what application created them? The actual programs
that you run *every* day are important clues to why this is
happening to you. Do you unzip files every day? (I would think
however that the temp files created by an unzip program would
be deleted after the zip program was closed.) During many program
installs, compressed files are expanded and placed in the temp
folder. But they are usually removed when the install completes
successfully. I never game much thought to what other programs
use the temp folder. Other programs no doubt keep copies of
files that they are open while you work on them. As I said,
look at these files; try to open them and view their contents.
It may not be a good idea to delete temp files from within
Win98...some program may be using them even as you delete them.

As final insurance concerning your problem, you could run Win98's
Disk Cleanup program. (It's C:\WINDOWS\CLEANMGR.EXE.) You can
configure Disk Cleanup to empty the temp folder and set it to
run automatically if space gets low on your hard drive.

You could add a line to your autoexec.bat file that would
delete all files in c:\windows\temp every time you start Windows.
The only drawback to this is if you shutdown Windows incorrectly,
the contents of the temp folder might still be useful to you.
You'd lose these files when Windows restarts. I assume you do
always shutdown Win98 correctly.

Regards,
Bill

                            The NOSPIN Group