Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Tom Billiodeaux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:35:52 -0500
Westley,
This is a long answer, but perhaps the editors may see value for others as
well.  Good question.

To answer your question of where to download Linux,
Search Google.com or Yahoo for the version you want.  Optionally go to
www.Mandrake.com or www.Redhat.com or www.version.com.
You can select a site or use its site.
If you visit an FTP site, you want to dnload an .iso file.
The first file will usually be named Mandr1.iso or something like this to
indicate it is #1 setup disc.
You will need at least 2 cd's for a Redhat or Mandrake install of the latest
2.4 kernel.  The 3rd cd will be applications you also may want.

At an FTP site, you treat this as if it is your hdd.  Just drag the file you
want to the location on your hdd.  The download will begin.
Hopefully you have a fast connection (Dsl, cable) or else be prepared to
wait all night for one cd.
After you successfully dnld each 650mb file, also dnld the chksum file to
verify and authenticate your files.
(you can buy most any version already burned for you for $2.00 --or so at
your favorite auction online).

Now to make a bootable CD: Use any software that will burn an ISO file.

With Easy CD Creator:
--------------------
Open Easy CD Creator
Go to "File"
then to "Create CD from disc image"
make sure to change the bottom drop down menu ("Files of type:") to say
"ISO image files"

It will do the rest after you browse to the *.iso file
(Thanks for zacheyer)

With WinOnCD:
------------
you can select a
"track-image" project when you click the New button.  So long as you are
in track mode, not file-system mode (how that looks depends on whether
you have 3.0 or 3.5) then dragging a track image file onto the CD window
should accept it as a raw track.  WinOnCD uses .RAW as its own
extension
(Thanks Rick Jones)

With Nero Burning Rom:
----------------------
Open Nero.
Close the wizard if it is started automatically.
Go to "File"
then to "Burn Image...".
In the next dialog, click on "Image Files (*.nrg)" and select "All files
(*.*)".
Choose the .iso file and accept.
In the following dialog make sure:
- Type of Image is: Data Mode 1
- Block size: 2048
- Image header: 0
- Image trailer: 0
- All the checkboxes are unactive.
Click "OK".
In the next dialog check that the "write" and "finalize" option are active.
Click on "Write".
(Thanks Antonio Asensi)

With CD-Record:
---------------
CD-Writing HowTo:
http://howto.linuxberg.com/ptHOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO

For example:
cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=4,0 mandrake.iso
You get the number on the SCSI bus number with "

If you are a newby for Linux, like me, I suggest you purchase the CD's
already burned. If you go to ebay or some other auction, you can get any
version for $2.

(By the way, Mandrake 8.0 was the easiest install I have used of any
operating system.)

HAVE FUN!

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml