Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Juanita Kimble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 21:34:21 -0500
From: "Kent N. Jacobson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 6:12 PM
Subject: [PCSOFT] Windows hides data on your visited URLs and cookies even
after "deletion"

> This is very interesting.  The program shows a security "bug" (or worse?)
> in which Windows maintains data on all visited URLs and cookies which
> CANNOT be deleted in various files named INDEX.DAT.
>
> The URL shown here http://www.fsm.nl/ward/index.html has a freeware
program
> named Spider to show the URLs on your computer.  The sobering fact is that
> it could also be used to view all the supposedly deleted URLs on someone
> else's computer.  A discussion of the problem, and Microsoft's so-called
> "explanation" of why these files are present, is found at the site.
>
> Microsoft goes to great lengths to prevent you from deleting the index.dat
> files.  The only problem is, I get a failed message when trying to run the
> deletion program using newest version Spider 1.16, and still have the
> index.dat files on my system.
>
> I'd be interested if anyone 1) knows another way to delete these files and
> 2) has success with the software solution provided at the site.  Thanks.
>
> Regards, Kent Jacobson

Kent,   www.fredlanga.com     has a program he wrote himself called
clean9x.bat. It will delete 9 different kinds of junk files. You have to go
into real DOS to use it. It does delete those files you are refering to.
When you start surfing they build up again. I am not much on doing things on
the computer, but when my Grandson uses Freds program it is like day light
and dark until those files builds up again. I did have one person to tell me
that it deleted all of his that it claimed except the "index dat" files
which you are refering to.
You might want to subscribe to his news letter. You will love it.It is not
junk. He refers you to many sites and gives you URL to neat programs. Keeps
you up on new viruses and much more.

Juanita Kimble

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml