From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:53:38 -0400
This sounds more like a program or process running in the background using
up all of your CPU or memory, or resources.  I would try a utility like
PrcView to see if process are running in the background that are left over
from previously installed programs.  Many programs now start from the
registry entries and if not removed from Add/Delete Programs in the Control
Panel or their own uninstall program, will try to start programs on
re-boot.  Also you could use a utility like Startup Cop to see if any
programs are starting that you don't know about.

If it does turn out to be a registry problem, I would use a registry
cleaner program first (like Regclean or Easy Cleaner).   Unless the backup
registry that you use to restore with is very current, (after most all
software and hardware installs and updates), you can have more problems
than you do now. A lot of program and hardware re-installs and fixes may be
required after "restoring" it if the registry is old.  I use a daily
registry backup program called ERS98 on all my machines after having a
_really_ bad corrupted registry and major problems restoring from an old
copy.

Good luck.

Doug

At 4/8/00 06:22 PM -0500, Lynn wrote:

>How do you tell if you have a corrupted registry? If not that what about a
>virus or absolutely no RAM available?. I have run Scandisk twice from
>Windows and once from DOS and it comes back with no errors. I used Defrag
>then I ran Inoculate It it says no viruses. But something is still wrong
>because when I first turned the computer on it sounds funny like click,
>click, click, stop, click, startup wav sounds like its skipping -
>"Wel,wel,wel,welcome to the re,re,re,real world." Inoculate It starts its
>scanning slowly then it speeds up finishes and I'm at the Desktop.
<snip>

>So, any ideas? I've got Windows 95 very little RAM (16MB). I do have a
>start-up disk (never used before), several copies of user.dat and
>system.dat on two floppy disks, my April copy of Emergency Recovery Disk on
>my hard drive, and an April copy of Cfgback in my C:\Windows, but
>unfortunately I don't have a Backup of everything on my hard drive and I've
>never restored a corrupted registry before.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html