Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:54:13 -0400
Hello:

I have a small 10 user Novell 6.0 network. Until now we used dial up
modem's from each unit. Each unit has it's local install of Pegasus
email, Firefox, IE, Netscape with Zonealarm Pro and Norton
Antivirus and spyware protection's Etc. None of this is installed on
the network server. We are now moving to Sprint DSL. Sprint gave
us a Sprint 645 series DSL modem without any Hard firewall
protection. I had them bring the DSL phoneline to my area and used
their Cat5 cable to my Netgear Ethernet Switch model FS309T.
Then setup our IP address over my LAN connection. Novell found
my IP and an allowing Zonealarm access to the new network. This
gave me DSL on my unit and automatically linked all the other units.
This saved me from 2 NIC per unit with double LAN wiring.

My problem is what type of Hard firewall should I purchase? How do
I protect my Server network? No need for protection software on
server without any internet access programs or PC anywhere
installed?? If I add a firewall between the modem and switch would
that protect me? Should I consider running all of this thru my server
with different user profiles. Advantage central update protection.
However each unit would have to be logged into the network for
DSL. I perfer running each unit separated. Thanks in advance for
any advice.

Richard Bolha

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com