From:
Timchenko Maxim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:43:47 +0200
This label was probably intended to be used for several drives, this
is supported by additional sticker saying 120Mb.

Setup the BIOS according to the configuration of 120 Mb or the closest
to it (118, 122 or similar). 41 and 163 are surely overkill.

Then, FDISK. If the FDisk crashes, use any program that can wipe the
partition table clean - DiskEdit from NU or Ranish PM for example, there
are more of course, and FDisk the clean partition table.

<> Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
<>

> Today, I had a similar problem... I found an old ide drive with several
> configurations, from 41 Mb up to 163 Mb listed on the manufacturer's
> label.  It had a plain white label saying 120 Mb.  It appears to have been
> FDISKed to 163 Mb using SMARTDRV and DOS 6.20, as it appears as a non-DOS
> partition in the lower DOSes that I had handy (3.20 & 5.0).  It will not
> take a DOS FORMAT - "media or track 0 bad".  If I attempt to FDISK it
> while set to the 122 Mb configuration, I can delete the Primary DOS
> partition.  It then shows 122 Mb, no partition set - but when I try to
> set a primary partition, it crashes.  Rebooting, and FDISKing again,
> it once again shows a 163 Mb partition on a 122 Mb total disk space.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html