From:
"Pullen, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 12:58:42 -0500
>This really sounds like a CPU or memory problem...can you swap out
>the memory long enough to test it ? Do you have a coast module.....pull it
>out and then try to boot. I would also pull the CPU out and give it and the
>socket a good blow off with compressed air......the P 150 is probably
>the most over clocked CPU out there...this isn't one of them is it?
>If none of this helps I would start suspecting the BIOS or the
>motherboard.

This summer, we had a Pentium 100 doing this, and I tried everything to find the
cause. I knew it had a bad fan in the power supply, but did not have a
replacement at the time. I put another "bad" fan in (one that still worked but
was noisy), and it did not help. We took the case off of the tower, and it ran
for at least 3 months. About a month ago, I replaced the machine for one of my
fellow workers, and we let it sit until I caught up on work to fiddle with it.

Finally, the workload dropped to enable me to go to work on it. The new fans
have come in, so I replaced the "bad" one with a new one, and went to work. The
machine now has a new operating system, and has been running flawlessly now for
about two months. This seemed to point to an overheating power supply. It has
its case back on and seems quite happy.

Paul Pullen

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html