From:
Bob Lendrim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 2009 11:55:51 -0400
When I download "free" software recently, there is almost invariably an attempt to get me to pay for something. In this case on Malwarebytes page, when I click "Download free version", it takes me to a Cnet web page for the actual download. So far, so good. But there are three available downloads on the Cnet page. The most obvious choice (if you don't read carefully) is for a product called "Cyberdefender". It's possible you clicked on the most prominent button, and got something else. This attempt at bait and switch is very common. The "Free" button always seems to be the least obvious.

I have downloaded and used Malwarebytes free software recently. It worked very well and it was free. If I go to Start/Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs, I see "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" is installed on my computer. If you don't see that, you may have got the wrong software.

If you did get the wrong software, i would uninstall it and get free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. To add to the problem, some programs are reported to be difficult to uninstall. Good luck.