From:
Jeremy Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 11:39:12 -0800
My cd burner seems to be creating unreliable cds.  For I while I was not
having any problem.  All the cds were readable.  Now, when I create a data
cd, it is readable in most of my cd-roms, but a certain one of them the
drive just cant seem to find the filesystem, and it just sits there
clicking.  Now I would think that this was just a bad cd-rom drive, except
that all cd-rs burned from different cd burners work fine in it, and
random cd-s burned in my burner work and other times they dont.  This
seems like a burning problem not a reading problem.  Also, my dvd player
can read cds that contain mp3 files or jpg files, and I know it does
because I have cds and cd-rs that work in it.  But no disc I burn recently
can be read by it, it sits there just like my previously mentioned cd-rom
drive.  (When it finds an iso9660 filesystem on a cd the dvd player gives
a message, and it never gets there with my recently burned cds, although
it does with some I burned a week ago).  Here's and interesting one, when
I do a "copy cd" and copy a disc full of jpg files, the resulting copy is
readable by my dvd player but not that cd-rom drive.  Wierd.

All music cds work fine.  On all but one of my cd-rom drives all the cds I
make are read quickly.

I have gone through all different kinds of experiments while burning the
cd, different speeds, mode 1 / mode 2 XA, dissabling joliet, disc-at-once,
finalizing the cd/ finalizing the session, etc.

I am using Nero 5.5, because that is what came with my drive.  Could it be
that my drive isnt starting the filesystem in the right place?  Could it
be that the laser is dying?  Or should I try some different burning
software?  I suppose it could be the media I am using,
but I have tried two different brands and had the same results.

I have been using this burner for about 4 weeks.  It is an internal IDE
Artec drive.  In a 550mhz machine with 128mb ram.

--