From:
"Richard F. Bolha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:15:51 -0400
Looking at Maxtor UltraATA/133 with 2mb buffer at 7,200 RPM with
seek time <9.0ms for $129. Compared to Western Digital
UltraATA/100 with 2MB buffer at 7200 RPM with seek time 9.5ms
for $129. Spec are from Global Computer August 2002 page 52. I
would say the .5ms drop would be due to the 133? Every thing else
is the same?

Richard F. Bolha

On 21 Jul 2002, at 20:20, Ultra wrote:

> You did and did not get me wrong.  you have to find the post I was refering
> to.  a list member (sorry I forgot your name) asked if I used any "newer"
> ATA133 drives from Maxtor, so I just pointed out that ATA133 isn't really
> faster than ATA100 and drives from Maxtor cannot stand against WD and IBM on
> performance.  The compare is unfair, since Maxtor has no top of the line
> drives to compare with WD, but what could I do? I can't have fast drive from
> Maxtor after I've test all Maxtor drives available (in Australia, if there
> is newer in the US that is not available in OZ, please let me know). the
> lastest from Maxtor is still slower than WD "JB".
>
> If we just compare the price, you may get 7200rpm drive from Maxtor, and the
> same price may only get you a 5400rpm drive from WD on same capacity, in
> this "economy" term, Maxtor wins.  However, the origional post was on
> performance side if I wasn't misunderstanding.
>
> buffer size doesn't mean everything, IBM drives only have 2mb buffer as
> well, but they can keep up with WD with 8mb buffer.
>
> Sorry I created the confussion.
>
> Jun Qian

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml