From:
Irena Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:24:31 -0400
Hello All;

We have a printer HP 5P hooked to LPT1 on a PC with windows 98se. Print
sharing is enabled, we use this printer from a few remote (win9x)
computers. We use TCP/IP protocol.

Problem: we got a new computer with windows XP Pro. The computer has the
same TCPIP subnet as the printer (win98) host and the same workgroup.
Print sharing is enabled. We installed printer driver on XP. The XP
station sees the right path to the printer \\socwork\HP-soc  and printer
wizard finishes installation without a problem, the added printer icon
has a 'ready' status. Yet, we cannot print, even a test page.

The messages range from 'specified network password is not correct' to
'the printer is not connected'.  The printer is password protected, but
there is no window popping on xp to prompt us to supply the password. What
are we missing?

TIA,

Irena.

                     support at our newest website: