From:
John Kemp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:10:19 -0400
Emy wrote:
quote
 How difficult is it to install a wireless network in my home? I have 3
computers and one will be located on the 2nd floor (less than a 150 feet
between each PC. We were quoted $200 to install the wireless network and
security and indicated it would take several hours if I would try to do this
on my own and maybe not do it properly...Can you make a recomendation about
this??
Thanks!
Emy
unquote

Emy,

Initially, I thought the $200 was for the equipment as well as the
installation, which wouldn't be a bad deal (all things considered). Then I
realized that the $200 quoted was just the installation. That is a bit much
for my neck of woods. Therefore, I would recommend doing the installation
yourself.

It is pretty painless to do it yourself. The wireless access points are
ready to connect out of the box. You may want to make yourself familiar with
security features because of this ease of connection. Since they are so easy
to connect to, anyone within range can piggy-back on your network bandwidth.
I would recommend at least configuring the wep feature to only allow the MAC
addresses of the computers that you want to have Internet connection. If you
are not familiar with the process, just get connected first and ensure that
your computers can get out onto the Internet. You can read up on the wep
feature in your operator's manual - I think you find it all a painless and
pleasant experience.

Besides hooking up the wireless accept point (router), you will need to make
sure that you have a wireless network card installed for the computers (or
PC card if required for a laptop) that will use the wireless feature. Any
computers that will be in close proximity to the router can be connected via
a standard network card and UTP cable.

Good Luck with whatever you decide...John

> How difficult is it to install a wireless network in my home? I have 3
computers and one will be located on the 2nd floor (less than a 150 feet
between each PC. We were quoted $200 to install the wireless network and
security and indicated it would take several hours if I would try to do this
on my own and maybe not do it properly...Can you make a recomendation about
this??
> Thanks!
> Emy
>
>             Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com