From:
Don L Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 22:36:53 -0500
Another consideration is that old (ancient) monitors are smaller than
those typically being built and sold today.  A larger monitor is very
nice to have as well as very useful for displaying mutiple windows
simultaneously.  Once you have a larger monitor you won't want to
go back!!!!  How large? - I don't know.  I have a 17 on my newer
system because it was a lot larger than my old 15 and the price
did not break me.  A 19 or 21 would have exceeded my budget, but
I'm sure there are those out there that say a 17 is too small.

Don Elias

On Thu, 30 May 2002 10:34:43 -0400 Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> On Wednesday 29 May 2002 10:11 pm, you wrote:
> > My (almost) new monitor broke down yesterday. It is 4 years old so
the shop
> > said they won't repair it for me for free. Is there some way I can
repair
> > it myself? I know it's not the computer coz a monitor I borrowed
(this one
> > I'm using) works just fine. I know too if the tube is broken,
> > it's probably not worth repairing but a tube should last more than 4
years?
> > Are there minor problems which someone with little experience can
fix?
> > What precautions must I take? Any advice will be much appreciated.
> >

> > Julie
>
> Julie:
> First, monitors contain potentially lethal voltages. Even unplugging
the
> monitor from the power line does not provide much protection, as the
large
> capacitors in the internal high voltage power supply are capable of
storing
> sufficient energy to cause injury. In short, only a qualified
electronic
> technician should ever open a monitor case.
>
> My advice would be to find a shop in your area that specializes in
monitor
> repair (check the Yellow Pages), and get an estimate on the cost to
repair
> your monitor. Most of them will have a minimum charge for this service.
(This
> "bench charge" is usually applied to the cost of repairs.) I recommend
> local source because shipping monitors is both expensive and
inconvenient.

> It then gets down to a repair vs replace question. Be sure to do some
> research on the cost of a new monitor before getting the estimate, as
you'll
> find that monitor prices are substantially lower than they were four
years
> ago.
>
> Regards,
> Carroll Grigsby