From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:58:55 -0800
I have Win 98 with all the Win 98 updates.  Everything was working
fine.  I did a disk defrag using an aftermarket defragger (Fixit 2000).  I
was just trying it out, and yes, I'm sorry.  After that I noticed my
programs loading slowly, and Outlook 2K froze at its splash screen. Then
the BSOD's started.  I ran Win 98's defrag, and altho I had defragged
with the aftermarket only 48 hours before, it took 2 hours for Win 98's
defrag to put stuff back where it belonged.  Immediately, Olook 2K ran
fine, and my programs loaded as before.  But I kept getting the BSOD
intermittently.  I tried the download on this site's home page re the
".vxd's".  Still getting the BSOD.

I have a new 30 gig hard drive with a fresh copy of Win 98, but haven't
had time to begin installing all the hardware/software, etc.  I need
for my current system to work for another month.  Is there some cure for
the BSOD or workaround that will keep me BSOD free for a few more
weeks? I have an Intel 800 EB, ASUS P3v4X mobo, PC-133 SDRAM, Promise Ultra
100 card to which only my Zip drive is attached right now, a CD-ROM,
CDRW, and three hard disks (Quantum Fireball 4.3 gig, WDig 6.4 gig, and
WDig 30 gig 300BB).  Also Creative PCI 512V sound card, Geforce MXII 32
Mb video card (everything was working just fine, no conflicts, and
still does except for the BSOD, which came with the aftermarket defrag). I
get only the message "Disk error, cannot write to C drive" on the BSOD.
All suggestions welcome, thanks Joel Blackman. (PS, I have to use this
Yahoo address to send the message because I am not in a location where
I can access my PCBUILD e-mail address. Please send responses to my
regular address, [log in to unmask]).

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>