From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:00:32 -0700
Jun,

You are right on a couple of counts.  The sound card probably does not have
enough power, and you will have to probably "manufacture" your own cable.
However, this part "should" be pretty simple.  You need an 1/8" stereo jack
(an electronics parts store should sell them in kits) and some wire.  The
kit should have directions on how to attach the wire to the jack.

One question is do you want two speakers or are you just going to use one
speaker.  If just using one you could probably wire the speaker wire
directly to the jack, but this is where you run into the power problem.
With no amplifier you probably aren't going to get a whole lot out of the
speaker.  My suggestion would be to buy two RCA jacks as well, use standard
pair wire (16 guage would be more than adequate), wire a seperate RCA jack
on each wire of one end and the stereo jack on the other end, and then plug
the RCA jacks into the input of your stereo or amplifier, and the stereo
jack into the sound card.

You would need to experiment with the configuration.  Because the "Speaker"
jack from the sound card does have a higher output signal the sound may get
a little dirty when running it through an amplifier.  Most multimedia
speaker amplifiers have filters to handle this extra noise, but stereo
receivers/amplifiers were not designed for high-input signal.  You may want
to use your "Line-Out" jack for a cleaner signal.

Hope this helps.

Kyle