From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:43:57 -0400
At 06:48 PM 6/24/1998 MARK RODE wrote:

>This has a CPU board that isn't a Ziff socket....I haven't
>replaced one of these yet......how much or a pain are
>these to upgrade?
>
>The 30 pin memory array is the usual 8 slots.....1 meg
>in each slot. Do all 30 pin setups allow for mixing the
>groups of four. . . . ?

Mark:

Regarding the CPU, if you don't have the right
CPU puller, you can use two sturdy "L" bracket
expansion slot covers as levers on either side
of the CPU, with the short side under the CPU
(I use unsharpened pencil segments, with flat
surfaces, as the fulcrum -- don't use the
motherboard itself).

Pry gently in a continuous motion. Usually at
the end of the lever's range the CPU is almost
out of the socket, then I use my fingers to pull
it straight out. If you bend a pin, straighten it
carefully, slowly -- I use the plastic extension
tube (straw-like nozzle) from a can of Dust Off
compressed gas.

Most 30-pin motherboards accept different banks
of matched SIMMs, as long as the parity and speed
rating are acceptable. Given the choice, I would stick
to the same chip package, too (1x3s and 4x3, or
1x9s and 4x9s), just to avoid possible memory skew.
Obviously, I'd put the four 4MB SIMMs in the first bank.

Regards,

John Chin