Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 09:54:12 +0000
Mark,

You are entering the confusing realm I entered about a month ago. As
far as I can tell, the ability to re-write requires the purchase of a
re-writable CD and most likely will be readable only on the machine
it was written on, not on any CD-ROM. If you use a CD-R disk (write
once), it should be able to be read on MOST NEW CD-ROM drives
if you correctly record the CD and "close" the disk. If you do
something wrong, the CD may still be readable on the CD-RW, but not
other CD-ROM drives.

> I am looking at IDE CD writers and I need a clarification. I realize that
> you can purchase read / write only CDs that can only be recorded once for
> anywhere from 1 to 5 dollars apiece and that you can purchase CDs that are
> read re writeable that cost around 15 dollars apiece. It appears to me that
>  all CD writers started out as CD read / write only machines and now have
> evolved to CD read / re writeable machines.

I was trying to decide the SCSI/IDE interface problem. Depending on
you needs and wants, IDE may work for you, and then again, it may
not. I read in a recent review that you should place the CD-RW on the
same channel as your hard drive if you wish to copy files from the
hard drive to the CD-RW (or CD-R) because IDE (or in this case EIDE)
does not do a good job shuttling date between the channels. This
could theoretically slow your hard drive access speed.

Secondly, it seems that copying audio disks is much more difficult
with EIDE CD-R(W) as well as using an EIDE CD-ROM as the source. The
recommendation is a SCSI CD-R(W) and a SCSI CD-ROM.

Visit http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/features/cd-rw/index.html
for a very informative article and review of many popular CD-Rs and
CD-RWs. It seems there is no PERFECT product. There are always
trade-offs in performance, ability, function, or price.

> When I look at CD write machines there seems to be one write only machine
> to 4 re- writeable machines. Am I correct in thinking  that all  CD read /
> re writeable machines can operate and perform  just like any Cd read /
> write machine. Is it  the CD you put in a  CD read / re writeable machine
> that determines how it will work or are they completely different machines.

I believe that the CD-RW actually uses a different type of laser, but
the end result CD-R is the same regardless of whether it was written
on a CD-RW or a CD-R.

>  If I have a Cd read / re writeable machine will every  <write once > CD I
> burn be able to be read by any CD player? Is the re writeable CD only
> readable on the particular brand it was made on ....or is it
> universal......are there any standards yet on re writable CD machines. Are
> plain CD read / write machines less problematic.Do I want a re writable or
> should I stay away form them.

My recommendation would be to go for the CD-RW if you can afford it.
While the higher cost of the media means you won't burn as many
re-writeables, it would be nice to have the ability. My choice was
the Yamaha CDRW-4260 SCSI. I get it next week, so I hope I have a
good experience. Pricier than I originally intended, but seems to fit
well with my needs and expectations.

> Thanks
>
> Mark

HTH