From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:19:58 -0700
It appears that you have completed methods 1 & 2. Have you tried method
3 as indicated on the MS knowledge site? Hopefully that will work before
you have to use method 4.

Method 3: Install the update in Safe Mode. To do this, follow these steps:
1. 	Download the update. To do this, follow these steps:
a. 	Visit the Microsoft Download Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads)
b. 	In the *Search for a download* box, type the number of the Knowledge
Base article that describes the update, and then click *Go*.
c. 	Download the update, and then save it to the desktop.

2. 	Install the update. To do this, follow these steps:
a. 	Double-click the downloaded file to install it.

If you are prompted to restart the computer, do so.
b. 	Visit the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web site to verify
whether the update is offered again. If you are offered the update
again, continue to the next step.

3. 	Install the update in Safe Mode. Safe Mode disables most running
processes and services. These services include the Windows Update
service. Installing an update in Safe Mode is a quick test to verify
whether an application or process is interfering with the installation.
To install in Safe Mode, follow these steps:
a. 	Restart the computer.
b. 	As the computer starts, press the F8 key.
c. 	Use the arrow keys to choose *Safe Mode*, and then press ENTER.
d. 	Double-click the file that you downloaded in step 1 to install the
file.
e. 	When the installation is finished, restart the computer.
f. 	Visit the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web site to verify
whether the update is offered. Alternatively, wait until Automatic
Updates runs again.

          Method 4: Contact Microsoft Product Support for help

Contact Microsoft Product Support for help. To contact Microsoft Product
Support, follow these steps:
1. 	Click *Start*, point to *All Programs*, and then click *Windows
Update* or *Microsoft Update*.
2. 	Click *Get help and support*, and then follow the instructions on
the Web site.

Tom