Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:30:41 -0500
Hi Mark,

I would suggest two avenues of approach. The first is to stay with Sony
(with their memory stick format) all the way, to include their cameras and
other devices that use the memory stick. With the computers built in slot
you should be able to use a Memory Stick in Windows Explorer as you use the
USB flash drive. A stand alone reader / writer shouldn't be needed.

The second, and far more versatile, would be to go with a multiple (all in
one) format card reader / writer. For example, most new cameras use the
Secure Digital card except for a couple manufacturers (Fuji for one) that
use their own design like Sony. Some still use the Compact Flash format and
a few cameras are still around that use the SmartMedia format. They are
widely available online and elsewhere, here is one example:

Kodak 6-in-1 Card Reader  $19.83 + tax (WalMart)
http://tinyurl.com/6cjjg

Right now in terms of availability and cost per MB, the Secure Digital card
is the way to go for general use. The Compact Flash card is cheaper but it's
physically bigger and is losing the war with the Secure Digital card. One GB
cards are available in both formats. At the store you'll find the Memory
Stick is roughly 40-50% higher in price than the same size Secure Digital
card.

In my case I have three Sony cameras (two still, one camcorder) that use the
Memory Stick. Each came with a small capacity Memory Stick (16 MB I believe)
but I use a Lexar 256 MB card in all of them. They are interchangeable and
compatible with any device that uses the Memory Stick. Then I have a HP
camera that uses the Compact Flash card.

Unless it's an extremely large transfer where I would use an external hard
drive, for transferring programs, data, etc., between computers I use a
Lexar JumpDrive Trio. I use three Secure Digital cards with it. It also
accepts the MultiMedia card and the Memory Stick. You can find it online for
around $16-18 and at WalMart for a couple bucks more.

Lexar
http://www.lexar.com/readers/trio.html

Lexar JumpDrive Trio   $17.50 + $.99 shipping
http://tinyurl.com/38dwx

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Sony Wega...

Sven Swanson, Sr.