From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 14:24:09 -0800
I have a Shuttle SD31P computer that is based on the Intel 945G chipset. The
computer worked well at first, but then I started to have intermittent SATA
failures on channel 2. The other SATA (channel 3) seems to work fine. With
the cover off, I have not experienced a failure so far, although I have not
had it running with the case off for all that long. Has anyone else run into
a heat related SATA failure like this? The PATA interface is stable, and
only one channel of SATA is affected, although both master and slave fail on
channel 2.

The motherboard uses the chip set of 945G/ICH7R - the specs show that both
are apparently involved in the SATA interface, but I have not dug deep
enough into the data sheets to fully understand the relationship. I would
appreciate comments from anyone that can clarify this for me. In any case,
the problem is likely a marginal chip that fails with temperature rise, but
I thought to solicit some feedback from this group. Thank you.

Peter