From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 13:39:47 -0700
It sounds like the setup program is asking you for drivers and by default
is going to the A:\ drive. This doesn't mean you can't point it to another
path like your hard drive or your CD ROM. Or you could just copy the Win98
directory from your CD ROM to your hard drive and run setup from there.
This would free your CD ROM and you wouldn't t have to put it in later on
when you made changes. Then boot off a floppy that loads himem.sys and
smartdrive...go your your Win98 or ME  directory ...and type setup. You
might also want to put all necessary drivers in their own driver
directory...then you won't need the floppy or the CD Rom to install 3rd
party drivers.

  Laptops have many of their own drivers. My Dell , that I just upgraded to
98SE2 has it's own drivers video, the  digital monitor and a few other things.

When setup asks for the A drive can you tell it to skip the file....just
get through the install and then install the correct drivers. Windows will
either use generic drivers or not install the device but will proceed with
the install.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group