From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 11:23:59 -0400
Anna, your motherboard is designed to function without difficulty when only
one video card is installed.  The manual will explain that there is a card
on the motherboard which should be plugged in one way when only one video
card is being used and plugged in another way for SLI operation with two
matching video cards installed.

David, the ability to pair onboard graphics with a dedicated video card is
only now being introduced with nvidia's latest line of chipsets, such as the
780a.  Anandtech has a preview of this chipset, here,
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3305 .

While the integrated graphics can be matched with a relatively low-end video
card in a SLI configuration, it looks like the real benefit of this new
chipset will be in it's capability of switching back and forth between the
integrated graphics and a dedicated video card (or cards) depending on the
application being run.  With highend gaming cards consuming quite a bit of
power, this new configuration will allow the gaming card to be put into a
sleep state, while the low power integrated graphics chip takes care of a 2D
desktop.  The dedicated card (or cards) are brought back online when an
application such as a 3D video game is started.

At least that is the idea, I'm not sure if the implementation has fully
worked out all the kinks, yet.

John Sproule