Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:08:40 +1200
Desmond - going by what you've said, I'd be suspecting the monitor lead or the video card.  If possible, try replacing these, one at a time and see if there's any improvement.  Any old video card will do, even a PCI.

Note that you should get SOME picture on the monitor at startup, if only of the BIOS screen when you hit the Delete key.

Try going in to the BIOS and leave up for a while to see if the picture fluctuates.  If it holds steady, and if you can get a black screen in DOS (ie, with text on screen, not just blank black) the problem more than likely involves the video card drivers.

Afterthought:  I assume you do have the correct BIOS for the board?  Is it the original or have you attempted to upgrade it?  This process is a little risky unless you know what you're doing.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand