From:
Brendon Schafer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 21:20:14 +0200
>I have two hard drives, one is a two is b.  I recently
>formatted a and reinstalled windows.  I have mp3's on
>b and another folder I want to keep.  Now that
>everything is working fine on a.  How do i get my
>stuff from b back.   When I start the computer up it
>reads both hard drives and in windows control panel is
>says there both there but D doesnt have a drive
>letter?  Can someone please help.

This is not intended to be a flame, but it really would help if you advised
what OS you are running, more specifically what flavour you are running. I
had a similar situation to you a few weeks back, using Windows NT4. I ended
up losing the data (it wasn't important so I didn't bat an eyelid). In my
case though I was messing with dual-booting NT and 95 and I got a little
silly in the Partition software I was using. You didn't mention if you could
read drive b in DOS. If you can, you could transfer the data from b to a
using xcopy command if memory serve me correct.

Some things I would do given above situation.
I'll assume for now, that all plugs are plugged in as BIOS does find both
drives.
Make sure that if both drives are on the same IDE channel (I assume IDE and
not SCSI) that one is set to master and the other to slave. If they are not
and you have another IDE device (CD ROM etc) that the channel with 2 devices
is set up as one being master and the other slave.
Run FDISK. View all your partitions on both drives. Make sure they're
correct as to what you expect.
Assuming all the above is correct, you may want to make sure that both
drives are formatted with the same FAT - FAT16 can't read FAT32. NTFS cannot
read FAT32 - I think if you are running NT4 SP6 this changes, but I don't
know enough about NT to be the authority on that. Hey you may be running
WIN95 and initially partitioned with FAT16 only to upgrade to FAT32 later.
If Drive b is listed in device manager (Win 9x) could you delete the device
and allow windows to auto detect it? Suggest deleting the device in Safe
Mode.

I could give more advise, others can too I'm sure, but I really think you
ought to give more details on your system.

Good luck.
Brendon

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com