From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 09:54:38 -0400
With the falling prices of PIII's, I've been eyeing this option myself.
Here's what I've found out so far, which you can also learn by looking on
the Abit site.  Look under the FAQs section for the BH6 and under the
downloads (BIOS) section for the BH6.  The upgradability of the the BH6's
processor will depend on the model revision.  The earliest rev 1.0x boards
are described by Abit as not capable of supporting the PIII coppermines.
The newer revision 1.1 BH6 do support the coppermine PIII's.

That's the official word, but I've heard of people on various computer
forums saying that they were able to get a 100mhz bus coppermine PIII to
work on their early revision BH6.  Abit's contention is that the voltage
regulator may not up to the job of providing adequate voltage for a PIII to
be considered stable.  Interestingly they do say that the these rev 1.0x
BH6s are able to upgrade to a Celeron 700, which is also based on the
coppermine core.  As far as I know (and someone please correct me if I'm
wrong), the Celeron 700 and the PIII 700 (coppermine) have the same voltage
requirements.  So, I find this to be a bit confusing.  Perhaps the Celeron
is supported because it is running on a 66mhz bus and this makes it more
stable than the PIII, given a voltage regulator that is only minimally
capable of supporting the coppermine's low voltage requirements.

I hope this much information was helpful, and I'd like to hear myself from
anyone who has more informtion on the details of what a BH6 is or is not
capable of when it comes to the coppermine processors.

John