From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:09:39 -0700
  I was in a local shop today and found the following:

A.  Maxtor offers both USB and network versions of their "one touch" drives.
 These, however, are fully assembled.  I'm not sure if there's a current
version of the old Quantum "Snap" drive units.

B.  NetGear and LinkSys both offer wired/wireless routers with USB ports to
allow a USB drive to attach to the network -- supply your own USB case.  At
about $85, this is a bit much if you don't need the router functions.

C.  ASUS makes a device, also about $85, that will connect a USB storage
device to a network.  I'm not positive, but I *think* you can also mount
your own 2.5" HD inside the ASUS device case.  If so, that's the closest
match I've found to what I believe Mick is looking for.

David Gillett

On 17 Aug 2005 at 18:26, Paul Jones wrote:

> I'm with David G. on the definition on this one.  With a USB drive, the
> computer it is attached to must be powered up in order to access it over
> the network.  Correct?
>
> http://www.nextgenelectronics.com/dlinkdsm604h.php
> The link above looks like the ideal, but it is $$$$!  I can see why Mick
> might want to build his own.  Maybe a very simple, cheap, dedicated, small
> PC would work:  No monitor, no floppy drive, no CD drive, network boot, etc.
>
> At 08:54 AM 8/17/2005 -0400, Hugh wrote:
> >Clarification:
> >I'm defining a "Network Drive" as any drive available to users on a
> >network. see: http://www.satellite-tv-hq.com/telecom-glossary-n.htm
> >Since Mick wants to use the drive as storage on a home network (That's
> >how I use mine) any drive in a USB case will suit the purpose simply and
> >cheaply.
> >Attach the drive to any computer on the network, set up the proper
> >permissions, and go for it.
> >
> >David Gillett wrote:
> >
> >>  An external USB drive attaches to a *computer*, which may share it to the
> >>network.
> >>
> >>  A "network drive" includes a minimal host system and network interface to
> >>attach to an ethernet network speaking TCP/IP and shre itself with computers
> >>on the network -- no additional computer needed.
> >>
> >>David Gillett

> use
> >>>>

> Paul Jones

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,