From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 14:28:46 -0600
From: "Michael A. Wosnick" :Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 12:38 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Where's the ping? I found it

> OK,OK, I should never admit this on a public forum, but right now my face
is
> ten shades of red, and the problem is solved.
>
> Where the bell finally went off for me was when I tried to ping my OTHER
> TCP/IP-bound adapter, namely my Ethernet adapter hooked to my cable modem.
> To ping that one of course I had to do it from the internet rather than my
> internal network, so I fired up my wife's laptop (on its own independent
IP)
> and pinged my @home account . Lo and behold it never pinged either, yet I
> knew it was on the internet and working even as I was trying the test.
>
> Then of course it hit me - my ZoneAlarm firewall was blocking all pings to
> my computer, and of course I forgot to tell it to allow traffic across the
> IP's of my internal network adapter!!!  I knew it had to be something
> fundamental (probably simple) but I never thought I would be so damn
> stupid.... :(  I wasted a day going after a 1 minute fix that I should
never
> have allowed to happen in the first place...
>
> Anyway, I feel dumb, but at least everything works as advertised now.
Sorry
> to have bothered everyone...
>
> Michael

Michael,

Just a note on ZoneAlarm and networks.  If  ZoneAlarm is installed on the
gateway computer, none of your other computers will be able to use the
internet through the gateway computer.  ZoneAlarm can be used on all
computers except the gateway computer connected to the internet.  You will
need to upgrade to ZoneAlarm Pro, which does support networks, to install
ZoneAlarm on the gateway computer.

Mary Wolden