From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:05:58 -0400
On Thursday 11 July 2002 04:36 pm, bobwarasila wrote:
> I realize this is probably a software question but thought I'd pose it here
> first since it is part of hardware project.
>
> I ordered all the parts today Soltek /SL-75DRV5, Athlon XP 2000, 512 MB
> PC2700, Plextor 40X/12/40, Toshiba DVD drive, Abit GF4/TI4200 card, IBM 80
> GB HDD.  Total cost with case is running ~$850 before the OS.
>
> Now I need some advice on the OS - I'm  thinking XP but should I use Home
> or Pro?   This computer will eventually be networked with one or two others
> in my house.  Also is there a source for educational discounts on software?
>  I teach at a college and can pass muster as an educational professional.
>
> Bob Warasila
> [log in to unmask]  (home)
> [log in to unmask]   (work)

Bob:
I don't know much about educational discounts other than such things do exist
-- I'd ask around at your school, though. Do it quickly, though, because you
can usually get the OEM version of MS software if you purchase it along with
a motherboard or a hard drive; otherwise you have to pay the full retail
price. You'll save about $100 on XP Home and $140 on XP Pro, but you won't
get all of the manuals. AFAIK, this is fully legal, and qualifies for MS
support.
Sounds like a nice system -- good luck with it.
Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml