From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 14:22:13 -0800
On 27 Mar 98 at 6:35, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> David Gillett wrote:
> >
> > On 26 Mar 98 at 9:11, Will Stephenson wrote:
> > My question: Will my Intel 133 CPU from the socket 5 work in the socket 7 motherboard? Thanks for your input.
> >
> >   Yes.  In fact, I've recently moved an Intel 133 from Socket 5 to
> > Socket 7.  [P133 is the top of the line for Socket 5.  Socket 7 opens
> > a new vista of possible CPU upgrades and/or overclocking.]
>
>  What would be the top cpu for a socket 7? I have a 133 now with a
> i430VX chip set.  Also, what would the overclocking possibilities be
> with this chip set? Thanks.

  Many Socket 7 motherboards still say "supports 75 - 200 MHz".  As
long as the board provides the split voltage required by MMX, the
Intel 233MMX and AMD K6-233 can work in this board -- the 1.5x
multiplier jumper setting will be reinterpreted as 3.5x.  I'm not
sure what the 266 MHz chips will do -- they're supposed to hit dealer
shelves over the next few weeks....

  Socket 7 boards generally provide multipliers for 1.5x, 2.0x, 2.5x
and 3.0x.  Overclocking by jumpering to a higher multiple than rated
is relatively easy, and will either work or not.  [Note:  Some recent
chips do things like ignore the 1.5x and 3.0x settings, but that's
not the motherboard's fault.]  So you may find that your CPU appears
to run fine at a higher multiple -- but isn't actually any faster.
  Most VX chipset boards are designed to be reliable and unexciting.
It's possible that your board offers 75 and maybe even 83 MHz
settings.  These increases will affect more of the system than just
the CPU; correspondingly, more components need to be able to work at
these speeds if overclocking is to succeed.  I would not expect to
see these options on most VX boards.

David G