Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:14:44 +1000
Hi Bill, this is only suitable for your situation (and other hardcore gamers)
For best DVD playback quality, you should buy a DVD decode card, a decode card is
still the best solution for DVD.
For your 3D needs: go for a fast Geforce GTS card with best possible cooling
solution (so heat is not a problem even you overclock), anything else than fast
high quality 3D performance is not important, so why cares TV out, 3D glasses or
any other "features" you don't really need for playing games.
If money matters, go for a good GTS card with TV out, (nVidia chip has improved
DVD playback capability).

Jun Qian

Bill Nussbaumer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> First, I'm looking into new video. I use my
> computer for numerous things, some of which take a fair amount of computing
> power, but the main driver for me when deciding on hardware is gaming.
> Because of this, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point that
> I'll be going with a new GeForce2 GTS based card within the next month or so.
>
> I've noticed that several of the Geforce2 cards have video out
> options.  Later on down the upgrade path I'd really like to add a DVD
> player to my system and have the ability to pipe DVD movies out to my TV
> set.  My question is, what's the best solution for achieving this?  Should
> I focus now on a video card that has better video out and more video
> playback software features included, or focus exclusively on the 3D gaming
> aspects of the card and purchase a separate DVD decoder card with its own
> "TV Out" capabilities later on?

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>