From:
Roxanne Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:37:26 -0700
The major danger I have encountered with disk managers is the possibility of the
user installing the disk "overlay" software that is an option with the disk
manager. Disk overlay software can cause huge problems later on, if and when the
disk is having problems and it becomes desirable to get the data off of it.
Modern systems (generally, two years old or newer) don't need the disk overlay
software, and should not have it installed.

I am also skeptical (with no proof, mind you), as to whether the disk manager is
testing the disk as thoroughly as the old-fashioned DOS method of formatting.
The DOS method takes longer, but it hits all the sectors. I don't think the disk
manager method of formatting does that.

I'm notoriously conservative in my approach to hardware setup, but...what I set
up has a low failure rate and high stability.

Roxanne Pierce
R2 Systems, San Diego
mailto:[log in to unmask]