From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 19:54:51 -0500
From: "Changwe Bellingtone Chilangisha" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 6:49 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Hard disk partitioning

> I recently bought a 20 Gb hard disk to replace the old 1.2 Gb.
> Unfortunately the bios only sees 8 Gb when I try to partition using
> fdisk. How can I make full use of this disk space?
>
> Bellingtone

There has been a lot of discussion lately on this very subject.   Your BIOS does not support Logical Block Access (LBA) and extended INT 13, therefore you will only be able to access 8.4 GB.  You have several options that you can try.

1.  See if you can get a BIOS upgrade for your motherboard
2.  Add an EIDE controller that does support extended INT 13 and LBA such as the Promise Ultra 100 controller.  If the drive is an Ultra 66 or Ultra 100 hard drive, upgrading the controller will allow the new drive to operate at its fastest speed.
3. Use a disk manager program.  This should come with your hard drive or be available from the manufacturers web site.

Mary Wolden

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml