From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:18:05 -0500
Hi,

As far as I know all the laptop 2.5" drives are the same lengh and width.
I have some old one that go back to 85M size and what does differ is the
thickness (depth) of the drive., from 14.mm (old) to 9.5mm ( new- current).

All the laptop drives I've seen have the same ide interface and different
manufacturors use different ways to connect the drive to the computer with
adapters and carriers.

The only time one would not fit is if the thinkness (depth) was an issue.

At 02:40 AM 02/19/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>My wife's Gateway Solo 2500 laptop has failed. It has an Hitachi DK238A-43
>hard drive. It reported bad hard drive clusters and will no longer boot. I
>managed to copy the critical files to an external USB drive. Now I have to
>get a new hard drive but have never before replaced a laptop drive. The 20
>Gig drives I find on Pricewatch are Fujitsu, Toshiba, and IBM. They are
>referred to as 2.5" drives. My existing drive measures 2.7" wide and the
>housing is made to accept a 2.7" drive. Have laptop drive sizes changed, or
>do the 2.5" drives actually measure 2.7"? If there are different sizes, can
>I find a larger size drive or adapt the smaller size to the computer?
>Thanks for any advice pertaining to this replacement. Bob Lendrim

God Bless America!

Joe Lore
MicroComputerCenter, Inc.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,