From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:51:37 -0500
Eric Johnson wrote:
> > I'm having an interesting problem with a sound card
> > configuration on a Win98SE machine. The card and
> > speakers work fine to play CDs but no longer play
> > windows sounds, MIDI, etc. If I play a midi file in
> > Multimedia Player 6 it looks fine, but there's no
> > sound and the speaker and volume icons are both
> > greyed out. Am I correct to deduce from this that the
> > card is in OK?

   From my experience a card can be half-functional with .wav files
playable and midi files nonplayable. Since you say you have an identical
machine with the same card test it for yourself. Place the suspect card
in the working machine and see what happens. If it works then you are
back on the software trail on your friend's machine.

Later,

Russell Smith
Edtech Consultant, Journalist
Region 14 ESC Abilene