From:
Bill Nussbaumer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:27:08 -0400
I have a couple of questions that I believe relate to the power management
features of my motherboard.  I recently replaced my Abit BH6 with an Abit
BE6-2.  Prior to the switch I had no trouble shutting down.   However, now
I occasionally get a shut down problem.  Once the computer seemed to try
and reboot when it should have shut down, another time the monitor didn't
go into low power mode, instead it remained on while the computer shut off
and then gave me a message that it no longer had signal.  Other times it
shuts down just fine.

I also notice that my keyboard lights glow now when the computer is
off.  Strange ... a feature, a bug, or an error in connecting (setting) up
my motherboard?  Could the wires to the case be on backward, it was hard to
tell which direction they were supposed to go?

By the way, I replaced the motherboard without a reformat or reinstall of
windows.  Instead I renamed my old hardware profile before shutting down
and allowed windows to create a new hardware profile after powering up with
the new motherboard installed.  Therefore just about everything is the
same.  The only thing that's different is that I updated to the latest
drivers on my Soundblaster Live and installed the latest Detonator 2
drivers for my TNT video card.  I kept the same BIOS settings as I was
using in the BH6 where there were matching functions.  In most cases I just
left the defaults.

I have 1 WD drive connected to the ATA/66 controller and another connected
to the ATA/33 controller and both CD-ROMS are on IDE-2 (UDMA-33).  TNT card
is in AGP slot, SB Live in slot 2, Linksys 10/100 Ethernet card in slot
4.  Celeron 300A running on a 100MHz bus (was very stable in the BH6 and
seems to be fine now also).  PC100 SDRAM in DIMM slot 3.  That's it.

Otherwise the computer is stable and runs fine even under demanding
applications.  No complaints anywhere else.

Any suggestion as to where to look?

Thanks,

- Bill Nussbaumer

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: