From:
Brad Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2002 07:36:24 -0700
Hi,
I'll try to keep this short. I had a main board failure on one of my
machines. I needed the data on the hard drive so I removed it and put it in
another machine. I set it as the slave. Something went totally haywire and I
am now unable to access either drive. Both are 40GB Seagate IDE drives. The
machine I put them into is a Dell Precision 610, dual Xeon PII 450. I have
tried just a single drive but neither drive is recgonized in the bios. I am
wondering if the controller has failed. It showed up initially, but I could
not get Server 2K to install. The drive would not format. Then the message
about no primary or secondary drive. I have tried different cables and have
5.6 and 11.9v respectivly on the power plugs. Any way to tell if the
controller is bad other than buying and installing a new card? This machine
also has SCSI on board with two drives, disconnected at this point.
Also how does one make a drive not ACTIVE to install as a slave with NTFS?

Thanks for the help
Brad Loomis
Morro Bay, CA