From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:12:22 -0700
>Regarding a replacement - I assume Lightscribe requires special media.

Yes, and the media is not inexpensive.

>Is
>this a worthwhile thing?

I have both Lightscribe and Inkjet printable CD DVD burners, and I don't
think so. If it was the only way to print on CD or DVD media then it would
be. Lightscribe is easy, you just flip it over and burn your design into
the disk. Lightscribe printouts can be quite unique, and you will have to
look at one yourself and decide if you like it. I do like it for some
simple things, but would I buy it again now that I have used it...probably not.

  But while Lightscribe is interesting, printable InkJet CD, and DVDs are
spectacular. I use third party software for my all my labeling called
Surething, and I often get factory like results using Inkjet printouts.
Printable media is lots cheaper then Lightscribe. Print speed is a hundred
times faster then Lightscribe. It takes the same amount of time to print
out a printable DVD as it would the InkJet to print out  on a piece of paper.

  Lightscribe takes 30 to 45 minutes to burn it's label. The only other
advantage Lightscribe has, besides ease of use, is durability. It is burned
into the media, and is forever, while InkJet labels can be washed off with
water!

>Last item - I am considering an NEC ND-4570A that NewEgg currently has for
>$39 plus $5 shipping. Seems almost as good for specs as the Sony DRU820A,
>but almost half the price. Also, how important is DVD-RAM support?
>Peter

If you are asking, then it is not important. You would know if you had a
use for it.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/