From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:03:12 -0700
Chuck I can only assume you don't have your system set up correctly.
Perhaps your not using a ULTRA66 cable, or you are running your OS and your
swap file from the slow drive. While I have noticed little difference
between EIDE, Ultra 33, 66 or 100: I have noticed a BIG difference going
from a ULTRA33 Seagate 5400 to the first ever Ultra33 EIDE 7200 RPM Seagate
drive back in 1998 ....and then another big difference when I installed a
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus drive last year. In both cases the hard drive
upgrade delivered a bigger performance boost to the system then most of my
CPU upgrades have. . A <matter of seconds>  is a long time in a nanosecond
world!

However, even if you are not a high end nanosecond cutting hardware geek
you should still notice a significant improvement from a 5400 RPM to7200
RPM upgrade. In fact, you are the first person I have come across who has
not had a < gee whiz > experience from this upgrade.

Check your system Chuck...something isn't right!

Mark Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>I have both a 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm Hard Drive (both at ATA100), there is
>really NO massive difference in speed.
>If you have the money though, I guess you might as well get one, but you
>would never notice a difference if you didnt have them sitting beside each
>other, I am talking only a matter of a few seconds. Good Luck on your
>choice.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com