Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 07:48:59 -0700
Either PCI or ISA will perform equally as well. The advantage of PCI
is the interupt sharing and the newer PC's are having fewer and
fewer ISA slots in them so might as well make the transistion now !
I would also purchase a dual speed one 10/100 as a lot of
colleges/unive. are making the transistion to the higher speed. It
only costs about $10 more for the higher speed board.

The 3Com cards are about the best on the market, and some of
the most expensive.(They are not without there share of problems
as well !) There are tons of cheapers ones, but often with problems
related with them. To me you can't go wrong 3Com, Intel, D-Link,
Allied Telesyn, any of the major manufacturers.

One of the reasons why they probably recommend the 3Com card
is then if you call them for support the tech. has a chance of
knowing what type of card, drivers,etc. you need and stands a
better chance of helping you over the phone !

I will be attending college in the fall and there is Internet access
available in my room via a TCP/IP ethernet port network. Therefore, I am now
in the market for a ethernet card. I do not know much about these cards or
networks, so I thought I would pose some questions to this adroit group. I
believe the card must be compatible with a 10BaseT ethernet connection.

1)  Which would be faster for this connection, an ISA or PCI card.
2)  Are some brands/models/features faster than others? More reliable?
3) The college reccomends using a 3COM Etherlink III 10baseT Ethernet card,
such as the 3C509 or 3C900 ethernet card. Does anyone else on this list
support this? Are there other cards out there that would do the same job for
less money?

Dale Laluk / [log in to unmask]
Design Manager
Lunar Communication Services