From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 22:07:50 -0600
  This sounds like a trojan I encountered on a clients computer recently,
called "Smitfraud" or "pcguard"
the display settings were greyed out just as you describe.
I downloaded a registry file that fixed the display settings.
This page has some info on removal:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/malware_problem_pc_guard_intel32exe-t48870.html
 or search for "smitfraud" and you will find the fix.